Gas fireplaces do not require special care, easy to use and do not clog up the room (ash wood, soot). Except decorative models, gas fireplaces may well be used as regular heaters.
Gas fireplace is a heater with a flame effect, which uses natural gas (methane) or liquefied petroleum gas as fuel. A gas fireplace can keep the temperature in the room of 20-40 m2 and have a thermal output of 2-8 kW. Useful efficiency is about 75-85% of fireplaces.
- Much more eco-friendly than wood-burning fireplaces, the atmosphere gets less hazardous substances;
- Gas fireplaces cost cheaper than wood ones, and are much simpler in design;
- Live fire in the wood-burning fireplace, but no ash and soot;
- Heat capacity of gas fireplaces can be up to 8 kW;
- Easy to use, fire ignites quickly and does not require constant care (popping firewood, adjusting traction, can be left unattended).
- for installing a gas fireplace must have permission from the relevant services (gas and fire);
- The gas fireplace must be installed only by specialists;
- As a fuel a dangerous LPG or natural gas are used, so that the fire in violation of safety or malfunctions can make some troubles.
Gas fireplace can run on propane-butane or natural gas (methane), but if you choose a type of gas, you can’t change it in the future. The easiest way to install the gas fireplace if there is a connection to gas pipeline. If this is not possible, then you can connect fireplace to gas cylinders, but they need a designated place, and periodic replacement of cylinders.
Combustion gas temperature is about 500 ° C, which is below the combustion temperature of wood, thus requirements heat resistance of the furnace material are lower, which has a positive effect on price. Also, when the gas is combusted it is producing little soot.
Refractory glass on the door may withstand temperatures of 800 ° C. But it is necessary to be careful with it, according to safety arrangements it is forbidden to kindle a fireplace with a cracked glass. The door is secured with screws, without special mechanisms for the quick door opening.
Fireplace consists of a casing, frame, gas burner, heater, thermostat, safety valve (that shuts off the gas when a flame is absent) and various sensors.
Unlike wood-burning fireplaces, which cannot be left for long periods of time without overseeing, gas fireplaces are fireproof. When fire is damping gas fireplace will automatically stop the gas supply.
For some models, which can be found in the store, it is necessary the lining for the safe operation. According to safety arrangements use of such fireplaces without covering is prohibited. The furnace should be made of non-combustible material: brick, stone, tiles, tiles, etc. Body of a gas fireplace and internal cavities should have space for ventilation, and it will provide the room with hot air.